Reasons for Graduate Study in AREC
Faculty Awards & Honors
- Rank of the Department
- The Department has maintained its strength as a top-ranked program for over two decades.
- Award Winning Faculty
- AREC faculty are among the most distinguished in the profession.
- Policy Experience of Faculty
- AREC faculty are renowned for their policy expertise.
- Professional Leadership of Faculty
- AREC faculty are leaders of learned societies in the Department's primary fields.
- Editorial Experience of the Faculty
- AREC faculty have served as editors and on editorial boards of the major scholarly journals in the Department's primary fields.
Employment Placement of Recent Graduates
Students receiving recent graduate degrees from the Department have found employment in choice academic positions and the best international organizations.
- Placement of graduate students in academic positions
Glenn Sheriff, Columbia University
Sumeet Gulati, University of British Columbia, Canada
Charles Towe, University of Maryland
Gregmar Galinato, Washington State University
Michele Baggio, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Beat Hintermann. ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Marcella Veronesi, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Xiangping Liu, North Carolina State University
Dimitrios Reppas, University of Manchester, UK
Chad Lawley, University of Manitoba, Canada
Angelo Zago, University of Verona, Italy
Anmol Ratan, Monash University, Australia
Ricardo Smith-Ramirez, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (Center for Research and Teaching in Economics, also known as CIDE), Mexico
Constant Tra, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Sarah Adelman, Mount Holyoke College
Timothy Fitzgerald, Montana State University
Craig Landry, East Carolina State University
Shaikh Mahfuz Rahman, Texas Tech University
Oscar Cristi, Universidad del Desarrolla, Santiago, Chile
Oscar Melo, Ponticia Universidad Catalica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
Ravissa Suchato, Kasetsart University, Thailand
Mohammed Helal Uddin, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Placement of graduate students in U.S. government agencies
Nathaniel Higgins, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC
Roger Claassen, USDA Economic Research Service, Washington DC
Conrad Choiniere, Food and Drug Administration
Andrew Stocking, Congressional Budget Office, Washington DC
Dennis Guignet, National Center for Environmental Economics, US EPA, Washington DC
Heather Klemick, National Center for Environmental Economics, US EPA, Washington DC
Stephen Kasperski, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle
Geret DePiper, National Marine Fisheries Service, Woods Hole
- Placement of graduate students in major international organizations
Yabei Zhang, World Bank, Washington DC
Lopamudra Chakraborti, World Bank, Washington DC
Jotsyna Puri, United Nations, New York, NY
Michelle Brock, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, London, UK
Daniel Gilligan, IFPRI, Washington DC
Gustavo Anriquez, FAO, Rome, Italy
Hernan Gonzalez, United Nations Development Programme, Santiago, Chile
Ekaterina Krivonos, Economic Commission for Latin American and Carribbean, Santiago, Chile
- Placement of graduate students in other positions
Lucija Muehlenbachs, Resources for the Future, Washington DC
Paramita Sinha, RTI International, Research Triangle, North Carolina
Tulika Narayan, ABT Associates Inc.
Quality of the Educational Experience
The Department strives to offer the highest quality educational experience in agricultural & resource economics.
- A major emphasis is on engaging students in publishable research starting in their first year.
The Department offers annual awards for graduate student performance:
- The Rhona Lantin Award for the best paper written by a first-year graduate student.
- The Bessie H. Duvault Award for the best paper written by a second-year graduate student.
- The Billy V. and Mary Lessley Award for the best dissertation.
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association Outstanding PhD Dissertation Awards won by students
Beat Hinterman Honorable mention 2010
Constant Tra 2008
Ricardo Smith-Ramirez 2006
Dan Gilligan Honorable mention 2005
Timothy Haab 1996
Madhur Gautam Honorable mention 1994
Rodney Smith 1993
Douglas Larson 1989
Proximity to Major Government Agencies & Related Organizations
The Department offers close proximity to an incomparable array of government agencies, international institutions, and non-governmental organizations devoted to environmental issues, agricultural policy, natural resource management, and international development. Opportunities for attending stimulating seminars abound. Many students find useful work experience, access to data, and cutting-edge thesis topics as well as future employment through these organizations.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is located only 9.7 miles away.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is located only 10.6 miles away.
- The U.S. Economic Research Service (ERS) is located only 9.4 miles away.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is located only 1.5 miles away.
- Resources for the Future (RFF) is located only 9.0 miles away.
- The Joint Institute for Food Science and Nutrition (JIFSAN) is located on the University of Maryland campus.
- The Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI) is located adjacent to the University of Maryland campus.
- The National Center for Smart Growth Research and Education is located on the University of Maryland campus.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is located only 9.9 miles away.
- The World Bank is located only 10.0 miles away.
- The Inter-American Development Bank is located only 9.8 miles away.
- The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is located only 9.8 miles away.
- The Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (BARC) with its National Agricultural Library is located only 3.1 miles away.
- The U.S. Capitol, Senate, and House of Representatives, which enacts all federal law, is enacted is located only 9.5 miles away.
- The National Socio-Environmental Sythesis Center (SESYNC) is located only 28 miles away in Annapolis, Md.